- ↓ Thyroid hormone
- Congenital defects of the thyroid
- Iodine deficient goiter
- Autoimmune (Hashimoto’s) thyroiditis
- Diseases of the pituitary (↓TSH)
- Hypothalamus (↓ thyrotropin releasing hormone TRH)
- Radiation injuries
- Surgical ablation
- Drugs (lithium, iodides)
- Idiopathic causes
- Delayed mental, skeletal, dental and sexual development
- Blood: microcytic, hypochromic anemia – fatigue and lethargy
- Dermal: dry and scaly skin, facial oedema.
Management: Gradual replacement therapy + synthetic and natural thyroid hormone preparations.
3 thoughts on “Hypothyroidism”
Comments are closed.